The Traffic Division consists of a sergeant, six police traffic officers and four parking enforcement officers. The sergeant and police traffic officers patrol the city on motorcycles and conduct year-round traffic enforcement utilizing the latest technology in speed measuring devices. Their enforcement efforts concentrate on collision-causing violations, school zone speed enforcement, neighborhood traffic complaints and streets with a high incidence of collisions.
The Traffic Division is responsible for investigating serious injury, fatal, felony and police vehicle collisions. The officers utilize the total station and scanning equipment to provide forensic mapping for these collisions as well as major felony investigations and officer-involved shootings. All Traffic Officers are trained as technical collision investigators and several are collision reconstruction investigators. These officers provide expert testimony in courts of law.
The Traffic Division also provides ancillary duties such as annual taxi inspections, other vehicle inspections, traffic and dignitary escorts, traffic control for various community events and emergency vehicle operations training.
The primary purpose of the Traffic Division is to promote safe and efficient flow of vehicle, bicycle and pedestrian traffic in the city of Bellingham. The officers of the Traffic Division focus on the three “E’s” of Traffic Safety to accomplish this task.
These “E’s” are:
Enforcement: Traffic Officers enforce the Federal, State, and Local laws focusing on those rules which when not followed lead to the most collisions.
- The Traffic Division enforcement plan includes random patrols, neighborhood complaint enforcement, emphasis patrols, and our primary focus on those areas with the highest incident of crashes.
- We also investigate vehicular collisions and take enforcement action when appropriate.
Engineering: Traffic Officers are in regular communication with the city’s traffic engineers.
- Together we work to make the roadways safer through proper design, signage, and traffic calming measures.
Education: Bellingham Traffic Officers provide education to the public on safe driving practices.
- We do safety talks at schools, businesses, and community meetings.
- Traffic officers also provide training to other officers on safe emergency vehicle operations.