Six photographers will receive public recognition for their work in the 2016 “Essence of Bellingham” Photo Competition. The competition received more than 300 submissions from area residents of all ages.
Entries receiving highest honors will be on display at Bellingham City Hall from June 17th through July 15th. The following are the top six winning entries:
- Best of Show – 1st Place – Rooftop Cinema by Aaron Brick
- Best of Show – 2nd Place – Clark's Point by Austin Shenton
- Best of Show – 3rd Place – Marty's Bike by Alice Horton
- Best of Class – Amateur – Larrabee Winter Evening by Jeremy Carroll
- Best of Class – College – Life Above the Lake by Alex Powell
- Best of Class – K-4 Grade – Mother & Sister by Amelia Van Niekerk
The photographers who submitted the winning shots will be recognized by Bellingham Mayor Kelli Linville and City Council members at the June 20 Bellingham City Council meeting. Entries also will be shown on BTV10 and added to the Whatcom Museum's photographic collection.
“Every year we receive fabulous submissions for Essence of Bellingham, and this year is no exception,” Mayor Kelli Linville said. “The talent in our community comes out in these fantastic portraits and landscapes that bring our community to life.”
The submissions were juried by representatives from the Whatcom Museum and City of Bellingham, Western Washington University, and the Bellingham Arts Commission.
Winning entries were selected based on photographic quality, subject matter and how well the “essence of Bellingham” was captured. The competition is sponsored by the City of Bellingham and Whatcom Museum. Residents are invited to start taking pictures now for next year's competition!
Winning entries and others submitted to the competition are posted on the City of Bellingham website at www.cob.org/eob .