Man assaulted near downtown succumbs to injuries

Identified as William Davis, 52 years of age

March 05, 2019 - by Claudia Murphy, PIO
​Unprovoked, Clint R. Bowen, 47, punched 52-year-old William Davis in the face, knocking him unconscious on February 25, 2019 while both were standing outside the Lighthouse Mission Drop-In-Center.  Davis fell to the ground hitting his head, critically injured.  Today, Davis died from the injuries he sustained.
On February 25, 2019 officers were sent to the Lighthouse Mission Drop-In-Center at 1013 W. Holly Street for an assault which just happened.  When officers got to the scene, they found Davis laying on the ground, unconscious, with a citizen providing cardio-pulmonary resuscitation efforts.  The citizen was initially relieved by an arriving officer and then ultimately medics from the Bellingham Fire Department took over emergent life-saving measures.
More officers arrived, and Bowen contacted them as citizens were pointing out Bowen as the person responsible.  Patrol officers and detectives investigated the scene, spoke to witnesses and reviewed surveillance footage and determined Bowen made threats to “head-butt” others in the area prior to the assault on Davis.  A discussion ensued regarding Davis’ ability to protect himself, and Bowen punched Davis in the face.  Davis immediately lost consciousness, fell to the ground and was not responsive. Davis was taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries and he has remained there until he died today.  
“This is such a tragic incident for everyone,” said Chief David Doll, “I am so grateful for the citizen, our police officers and medical personnel who did everything they could to help Mr. Davis.”
Bowen was arrested for Assault 2nd Degree and booked into the Whatcom County Jail on February 25, 2019, where he has remained, pending posting bail.  The Whatcom County Prosecutor’s Office has been notified of Davis’ death and will be reviewing the case for amendment of charges. 

More City News >>

Subscribe to City News