Updated 6/9/2021 at 12:30 pm to correct a broken link to the competition page.
Out of more than 430 submissions, seven photographers were selected to receive top awards for their photos in the 16th annual “Essence of Bellingham” Photo Competition.
- Best of Show – 1st Place – “Rites of Passage” by John Waszak
- Best of Show – 2nd Place – “Blue Hour Bay” by Brennan Drew
- Best of Show – 3rd Place – “Walking in a Winter Wonderland” by Annika Holland
- Best of Class – K-4 Grade – “Admiring Mt. Shuksan” by Abel Rae
- Best of Class – 9-12 Grade – “Reflecting Waters” by Erin Gardner
- Best of Class – Professional – “Fall Mornings” by Eric Palmer
- Climate Action Award – “Smoky Sunset” by Irina Spingola
Along with top winners, 98 best of category and honorable mention photographs will be shown in an upcoming public display, temporarily postponed until a future date due to COVID-related restrictions.
The competition is sponsored by the City of Bellingham and the Whatcom Museum. Submissions were juried by representatives from the Whatcom Museum and City of Bellingham. Winning entries were selected based on how well they captured the essence of Bellingham and the quality of the photograph.
All entries will be added to Whatcom Museum’s photo archives and may appear on BTV or in other City publications. A photo gallery of this year’s entries, a complete list of awards, and details about the next competition are available on the Essence of Bellingham Photo Competition page.