Project Overview: EN-0051
The Anderson Creek Water Quality Improvements project will improve water quality and habitat conditions in Anderson Creek, located between Mirror Lake and the southeast end of the Lake Whatcom Reservoir. This project will support water quality improvements in Lake Whatcom by reversing historical impacts and restoring natural processes within the Anderson Creek corridor. This project includes native plantings to restore riparian habitat, large woody debris along the stream bank to reduce sediment loading, and removal of a derelict creosote bridge, all contributing to improved stream habitat for existing native cutthroat and kokanee salmon and elimination of toxic chemicals in the creek.
This net-benefit project meets the required criteria to qualify as a Fish Habitat Enhancement Project under RCW 77.55.181. This determination results in a more efficient and streamlined permitting process suited for restoration projects. The City appreciates the active participation from our local regulatory partners at the Department of Fish & Wildlife and Whatcom County for their help with permitting.
The project site includes stream and forested wetlands. The footprint of construction activities will be minimized, and temporary environmental impacts required to complete the project will be mitigated with restoration efforts.
For more information about activities within the larger Anderson Creek watershed basin and restoration activities in this area, see our Anderson Creek webpage.
This project is funded by a Department of Ecology Centennial Clean Water Program Grant ($499,500) and City of Bellingham Grant Match Funds ($188,000).
Status – October 2021
- Project Construction Notice to Proceed issued August 4, 2021
- Fish Handling and Relocation Efforts occurred August 17-18, 2021
- Over 1,200 fish rescued from the work area prior to in-water work!
- Project Substantial Completion achieved September 16, 2021
- Complete punchlist items
- Final paperwork, project completion, and closeout with Colacurcio Brothers Inc.
- Restoration plantings installation by City of Bellingham’s Washington Conservation Corps crews
- Status – Construction
- Contract Awarded – 6/21/2021
- Contract Amount – $445,941.51
- Contractor – Colacurcio Brothers Inc.
- Vicinity Map
Stephen Day, P.E.
Project Engineer – Public Works
Sara Brooke Benjamin
Environmental Coordinator – Project Biologist