Project Overview: ES-0440
The Orchard Drive Extension will provide a new multi-modal link for the City of Bellingham transportation system: an arterial linking the street grid east and west of Interstate 5 taking advantage of an existing grade separated crossing, with bike lanes and sidewalks. The project will link the King Mountain Neighborhood, directly under the existing highway to the Cornwall Neighborhood near the hospital. Currently planned developments in King Mountain include 1,500 residential housing units and 40,000 square feet of commercial space which will add significantly to the future traffic volumes on James Street Road. In addition to helping the future congestion on James Street Road, the project will also alleviate traffic congestion near the regional hospital on Ellis Street by routing a portion of the traffic to the new street.
The Squalicum Creek Re-route Phases 3 and 4 habitat enhancement project was built in the same vicinity as this project in 2020.
Update – February 2021
Accomplishments: The project has been awarded.
Next Milestones: Construction to begin in March 2021. Read more in the news release.
- November 12, 2019 – Presentation slides from Cornwall Park Neighborhood Association meeting (includes Squalicum Re-route and Orchard Drive Extension projects)
- Squalicum Creek Corridor projects graphic (includes Squalicum Re-route and Orchard Drive Extension projects)
- Status – Construction
- Contract Awarded – January 2021
- Contract Amount – $6,592,435.18
- Contractor – Strider Construction
- Vicinity Map
Craig Mueller, P.E.
Phone: (360) 778-7922
Public Works Contacts