Bellingham City Hall (1939) is located at the north end of downtown. This large rectangular, two-story building with distinct horizontal massing was constructed under the federal programs of the Great Depression. It is an example of the substyle of Art Deco that has come to be known as PWA Modern, characterized by Classical composition, piers without capitals or bases, vertical fenestration, smooth surfaces and Non-Classical decoration. Its facade is symmetrical, with a centered, recessed entrance beneath three vertical strips of glass block. The entrance, opening into the public lobby, is approached through a brick courtyard and a short flight of broad, but shallow, stairs intersected with two bronze hand rails. Above the entrance are three sculpted figures.