Per Washington State Proclamation 20-28, in-person attendance at meetings is prohibited at this time. Commission members will participate in this meeting remotely through an online web-based meeting platform. Please open the meeting agenda to view options for submitting public comment prior to the meeting.
The Transportation Commission is expected to help shape the future of Bellingham by taking a long-range, strategic look at transportation issues and providing recommendations on policy choices and investment priorities. The Transportation Commission absorbed the advisory responsibilities of the City’s Parking Commission and the Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee, both disbanded effective at the end of 2009. The Transportation Commission operates under specific procedures.
The nine members of the Transportation Commission are appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the City Council. Members should represent a range of perspectives and expertise that will focus on the community’s long-term vision for mobility options throughout the city. Applicants must be residents of Whatcom County for at least two years, and the State of Washington for three years, to be eligible for appointment.
Transportation Commission meetings are typically held on the 2nd Tuesdays of the month at 6 p.m. in a hybrid format. Meetings take place in person in the Mayor’s Board Room at City Hall (210 Lottie Street) and on Zoom.
See Meetings and Events for currently scheduled meetings.
- Originating Ordinance (PDF)
- Operating Procedures (PDF)
- 2022 Transportation Commission Work Plan
- 2022 Pedestrian and Bicycle Master Plan Updates
- 2016 Bellingham Comprehensive Plan – All Chapters
- 2016 Comp Plan Chapter 3 Multimodal Transportation
- Multimodal Transportation Safety Studies
- Multimodal Transportation Planning Web Pages
- Fairhaven Parking Task Force – Final Report (PDF)
- Recommended Websites (PDF)
- Transportation Terms & Acronyms (PDF)
- TIF Reduction for Urban Village Development Staff Report Nov. 2010
- Transportation Benefit District No. 1
- Transportation Commission Annual Report (PDF)
Public Works Department
Chad Schulhauser, Assistant Director
104 West Magnolia Street, Suite 109
Bellingham, WA 98225
Phone: (360) 778-7900
Fax: (360) 778-7901