In 2017-2018, Bellingham conducted the Travel with Care public safety campaign. In summer 2021, the Washington Traffic Safety Commission awarded Bellingham and multiagency funding partners a $120,000 grant to conduct a public safety campaign focused on people walking, biking, and rolling citywide, but especially near low-income neighborhood schools. Bellingham Police are partnering with Public Works, Whatcom Transportation Authority (WTA), Whatcom Council of Government Smart Trips, and School District staff to implement this public safety campaign beginning October 1, 2021 through September 30, 2023.
Multi-Agency Funding Partners
- Washington Traffic Safety Commission
- Bellingham Police Department
- Bellingham Public Works Transportation
- Whatcom Council of Governments (WCOG) Smart Trips
- Whatcom Transportation Authority (WTA)
- Bellingham School District (BSD)
Status – August 2022
- Multi-agency staff meetings.
- Creation of Police training videos.
- Creation of Public Service Announcements (see below).
Next Milestones: Coordination and collaboration of all agencies for preparation and delivery of public education, encouragement, and engagement.
- Contract awarded – 10/1/2021
- Contract amount – $140,000
- Contractor – Bellingham Police Department
- Video: Vulnerable Road User
- Video PSA1: Sharing the Road with Bicyclists 1
- Video PSA2: Sharing the Road with Bicyclists 2
- Video PSA3: Sharing the Road with Pedestrians
- Video PSA4: Sharing the Road with School Children
- Radio PSA1: Travel with Care – Bicyclist
- Radio PSA2: Travel with Care – Parent
- Radio PSA3: Travel with Care – Pedestrian
- Bellingham Local Road Safety Plan for Multimodal Safety Improvements (2022)
- March 2021 Grant Application for WA Traffic Safety Commission Funds
- 2020 Local Road Safety Plan for Multimodal Safety Improvements