With recent rains and improved ground and vegetation moisture content, the ban on recreational fires will be lifted within the city of Bellingham. Starting at noon on Friday, September 2, recreational fires are authorized.
Per Bellingham Municipal Code, all other outdoor burning within Bellingham city limits is prohibited.
Recreational fires must meet the following conditions:
- Fire fuel must be seasoned firewood or charcoal only. Yard debris, garbage, and construction/demolition debris are not permitted to be burned.
- The fire must be attended at all times until fully extinguished.
- The fire must not be within 25 feet of a structure or combustible materials. A portable outdoor fireplace is allowed 15 feet or more from a structure provided it is being used in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.
- The total fire fuel area may not exceed 3 feet in diameter or 2 feet in height.
- A means of extinguishment must be immediately available. This may include a charged garden hose, one 4-A portable fire extinguisher, one 5-gallon bucket of water, or sand.