As part of the James and Bakerview Intersection Improvements project (ES473), the existing intersection of James St. and Bakerview Road will either be:
- Widened to accommodate dedicated left-turn lanes on James Street with enough storage capacity for predicted future traffic volume.
- Reconstructed as one multimodal roundabout to improve safety, efficiency, and access for all transportation modes, including freight.
Due to significant delay, poor level of service, lengthy vehicle queues, and lack of physical storage space for left-turning vehicles from James to Bakerview, the intersection currently presents safety concerns. The intersection has a significant collision history with 15 documented vehicle collisions from 2009 through 2010, the dates for which collision data is available. As development continues and traffic volumes increase, intersection level of service and delay will continue to degrade with the potential for increased risk of traffic collisions.
Construction of this project is likely to occur in 2025 due to the length of time needed to obtain necessary environmental permits.
Project Status – May 2023
- Design is nearly complete with a re-design of the stormwater treatment need to address new Federal guidelines.
- Right-of-way process is nearly complete.
- Complete design.
- Obtain local and Federal environmental permits. Environmental permitting was not completed when originally submitted in 2015 due to lack of construction funding. Environmental permits are currently being resubmitted.
- Certify the right-of-way.
- Due to the length of time needed for environmental permits, construction is likely to occur in 2025.
Craig Mueller, P.E.
Phone: (360) 778-7922
Public Works Contacts