We are planning now for future improvements at the Post Point Wastewater Treatment Plant (Post Point). These improvements are needed because equipment is aging, expensive to repair, and incinerates – rather than recovers – reusable resources. The goal is to provide sustainable, environmentally responsible, cost-effective wastewater treatment into the future.
Through this project, the City will plan and construct new facilities at Post Point to capture and reuse valuable resources from Bellingham's wastewater.
The result will be a process that protects public health, safety and natural resources while continuing to meet demand for efficient, quality service essential for a growing, diverse community. The new process will develop biosolids into a sustainable resource limiting environmental impacts while maximizing resource recovery opportunities. The project will further advance a solution using reliable and proven technology that offers the best value for the citizens of Bellingham over a fifty-year lifecycle.
The resource recovery solution for wastewater will minimize the social impacts of handling biosolids while supporting the core values of Bellingham residents via a “Triple Bottom Line Plus" (i.e. fiscal, environmental, technical, socially sustainable) assessment.
All phases of this project will develop within the framework of the Legacy Statements and Strategic Commitments adopted by the Bellingham City Council in July 13, 2009.
- Phase 3 will develop a Biosolids Facility Plan, continue public outreach efforts, and assess the impacts of upcoming nitrogen control regulations.
- Phase 4 will develop a preliminary design of the selected alternatives.
Update – February 2020
We provided Council with a project status update in January 2020. The following resources are provided as a reference to project status.
- WWU Presentation on Energy Use - Feb 11, 2020 (PDF)
- Post Point Biosolids-TM 2-FINAL – May 9, 2019 (PDF)
- Post Point Biosolids-TM 1-FINAL – Feb 12, 2019 (PDF)
- Post Point Resource Recovery Detailed Folio – Jan 2019 (PDF)
- Post Point Resource Recovery Fact Sheet – Jan 2019 (PDF)
- Post Point Market Survey Biosolids Tech Memo DRAFT – Feb 2018 (PDF)
- Post Point Fluidized Bed Incinerator Concept Plan Tech Memo – Oct 2018 (PDF)
- Bellingham Biosolids Fact Sheet – Spring 2017
- Bellingham Biosolids Frequently Asked Questions
- EPA – Frequently Asked Questions – January 19, 2017
- Washington State University Biosolids
- Northwest Biosolids
Council Meeting Videos
- 1/27/2020 Climate Action Committee
- 01/28/2019 Public Works and Natural Resources Committee
- 07/24/2017 Public Works and Public Safety Committee
- 04/10/2017 Public Works and Public Safety Committee
- 10/24/2016 Public Works and Public Safety Committee
- Agenda Bill 22557 1.27.20 (PDF)
- Agenda Bill 22182 9.9.19 (PDF)
- Agenda Bill 22182 1.28.19 (PDF)
- Agenda Bill 22182 Attachment – STAFF MEMO - POST POINT RESOURCE RECOVERY PROJECT 1.28 (PDF)
- Agenda Bill 21397 – 7.24.17 (PDF)
- Agenda Bill 21397 – 4.10.17 (PDF)
- Agenda Bill 21397 – 10.24.16 (PDF)
- Council Briefing – Jan 2020 (PDF)
- Council Briefing – Sep 2019 (PPTX)
- Council Briefing – Jan 2019 (PPTX)
- Council Briefing – July 2017 (PPTX)
- Council Briefing – April 2017 (PPTX)
Core Team Meeting Presentations
- Core Team Meeting – March 2018 (PPTX)
- Core Team Meeting – Oct 2017 (PPTX)
- Core Team Meeting – July 2017 (PPTX)
- Core Team Meeting – June 2017 (PPTX)
- Core Team Meeting – April 2017 (PPTX)
- Core Team Meeting – March 2017 (PPTX)
Community Workshop Presentations
- Community Workshop Message Boards – July 2017 (PPTX)
- Community Workshop Message Boards – May 2017 (PPTX)
July 2017 Open House
- Meeting Summary
- Community Workshop Presentation
- Open House Resource Recovery Post Point
- Resource Recovery Post Point Meeting Guide
- Comment Form Resource Recovery Post Point
May 2017 Workshop
ContactsRobert Johnson, Project Manager
Superintendent Operations, Public Works
Public Works Contacts