When a rental property is due for inspection, property owners have the option to use a qualified private inspector in lieu of a City of Bellingham inspector. A qualified private inspector must possess at least one of the following credentials:
- American Association of Code Enforcement property maintenance and housing inspector certification;
- International Code Council property maintenance and housing inspector certification;
- International Code Council residential building code inspector;
- Washington State licensed home inspector; or
- Other acceptable credential the director establishes by rule.
They will also be required to take a training course in the specifics of RR&SIP inspections. For more details regarding scheduling and participation in inspection trainings, please contact the program specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*NOTE: Private inspectors will set their own fees for rental inspections. In addition to what is paid directly to the inspector, a $45/unit fee is paid to the City of Bellingham.
Planning and Community Development Department
Rental Registration Specialist
(360) 778-8361 or email@example.com