On January 28, 2013 the Bellingham City Council agreed to accept all of the required and recommended revisions to the City’s Shoreline Master Program (SMP) as directed by the Department of Ecology in their December 17, 2012 letter.
The Department of Ecology will be issuing both an acknowledgement of the City’s acceptance of the revisions and a press release regarding their official approval of the 2013 SMP. Parties of record and other agencies will also be notified.
The City intends to repeal Bellingham Municipal Code Chapter 16.40 (Shorelines) and replace it with a new “Title 22, Shoreline Master Program”. The 3rd and final reading of the adopting ordinance for Title 22 is expected to be done on February 11, 2013. The 2013 Shoreline Master Program would become City Law fifteen days later.
Staff Contact: Steve Sundin in the City’s Planning and Community Development Department at 360-778-8359 or email: email@example.com
2013 SMP Materials
- 2013 SMP
- Development Regulations Matrix (PDF)
- Waterfront Development Regulations Matrix (PDF)
- Appendix A – Shoreline Characterization and Inventory (PDF)
- Appendix B – Restoration Plan (392 PDF)
- Appendix C – Shoreline Environmental Designation Criteria (1,368K PDF)
- Appendix D – Channel Migration Zone Documentation (2,098K PDF)
- Appendix E – Shoreline Permit Submittal Requirements (PDF)
- 2004 Shoreline Characterization and Inventory
- Memo to City Council
- December 17, 2012 Letter from DOE (1,408K PDF)
- Attachment A – DOE Findings (2,045K PDF)
- Attachment B – DOE Required Revisions (PDF)
- Attachment C – DOE Recommended Revisions (PDF)
The final stages of approval have included:
- May 21, 2012 – The City Council considered the Department of Ecology Bellingham Field Office’s required and recommended revisions to the City’s 2009 Draft Shoreline Master Program. City Council advised staff that they would agree to implement the revisions provided by the Bellingham Field Office.
- November 8, 2011 – the City provided the DOE with responses to these comments. Public and agency comments; as well as, the City’s responses to these can be found here.
- October 7, 2011 – the DOE provided to the City a summary of comments received during the comment period and at the public hearing.
- May 25, 2011 – The DOE held their formal public hearing on the City’s SMP. The comment period was held open from May 16th until June 24, 2011.
2009 SMP Materials
- November, 2009 Final Draft of the SMP (1,000K PDF)
- Cumulative Impact Analysis (1,287K PDF)
- Marine Shorelines Map Reaches 1-8 (226K PDF)
- Marine Shorelines Map Reaches 9-21 (499K PDF)
- Chuckanut Creek Map (309K PDF)
- Padden Creek Map (410K PDF)
- Whatcom Creek Map (825K PDF)
- Squalicum Creek Map (899K PDF)
- Lake Whatcom/Lake Padden Map (764K PDF)
- Bellingham’s Shorelines of Statewide Significance Map (492K PDF)
- BMC 22.110.30 A-E Development Regulations Matrix (PDF)
- BMC 22.110.30 F – Waterfront District Development Regulations Matrix (PDF)
Port of Bellingham revision proposal
- Letter dated 6/22/09 re revisions for Waterfront District (PDF)
- Proposed code revisions (PDF)
- Proposed development regulation revisions to Waterfront District Shoreline Designations with maps (2,370K PDF)
Other SMP Resources
- October 19, 2009 City Council Staff Report (1,500K PDF)
- October 5, 2009 City Council Staff Report (1,416K PDF)
- September 14, 2009 City Council Staff Report (2,355K PDF)
- Existing Shoreline Master Program (1989 version) (329K PDF)
- Restoration Plan FAQ (PDF)
- 2006 SMP Web Links (PDF)
- City of Bellingham 2004 Shoreline Characterization and Inventory available on CD ROM in the Planning and Community Development Office for $2.00 each.