In 2015, the City acquired the site of the former Aloha Motel at 315 N. Samish Way. The property was sold to the BHA in 2017 and will be redeveloped with a mix of over 150 housing units serving a range of incomes, new office headquarters for the agency, and commercial uses. Redevelopment of the site will be a major step in moving closer towards the future vision for Samish Way urban village. The BHA has been pursuing financing and preliminary design feasibility since the purchase of the property, and in 2018 received notification of a $3M award from the State Department of Commerce Housing Trust Fund.
Phase I of the project is currently in permitting and scheduled to break ground later this year.
Preliminary plans and Notice of Public Hearing
- 14 units set-aside for households exiting homelessness, 14 units set-aside for persons with disabilities.
- 26 studios, 30 1-bedroom, 8 2-BR, 5 3-BR
- Bellingham Housing Authority Offices
- Approximately 86 units
- Incomes ranging from 30% AMI through 80% AMI
- Commercial Space
- 2017 Press Release
- 2015 Request for Proposals: https://cob.org/wp-content/uploads/aloha-rfp.pdf