The Padden Triathlon is an excellent first, second or twenty-second triathlon. Our course is simple, beautiful and well staffed. In an effort to make this a race you’ll enjoy year after year, we’ve made everything as simple as possible, so on race day you can focus on the event. Our goal is to make the Padden Triathlon the best organized, most affordable, chip timed event you’ll do all summer. Please start your triathlon season here in Bellingham.
Now offering Clydesdale (200) and Athena (150) divisions. Weigh in at packet pick-up.
2020 Padden Triathlon canceled due to COVID-19. Refunds will be processed within 60 days.
Course maps are available for every leg except the swim. The swim leg is either a 1/2 mile or 1/4 mile triangle, depending on which race you’re in.
Please Note: This program is non–refundable
- Both events closed at 325 registrants
- ID required at check-in
November & December: $50
Day of Race N/A
*Relay teams + $10
Saturday, June 27, 2020
Packet Pick-up (ID Required)
- Day before race day, 4 pm -7 pm at BBay Running, 1431 N State St, (360) 738-6900
Late Packet Pick-up
- Day of race on-site at Lake Padden
- Long 7 am to 8:15 am
- Short 7 am to 12:30 pm
- Lake Padden – June 1 – 10:00 am to Noon or
- Bloedel Donovan Park – June 29 – 10:00 AM to Noon
Bring all of your triathlon related equipment and be ready to practice your transitions from wet to finish. We’ll cover transitions, pre-race nutrition, clothing, minor mechanical issues, wet suits and whatever questions you might have. Free
Race Distance and Start Time
There are two distances from which to choose:
- Competitive: Swim 1/2 mile, Bike 21 miles, Run 5.2 miles – Start 8:30 am
- Recreational: Swim 1/4 mile, Bike 10 miles, Run 2.6 miles – Start 1:00 pm
- Check-in for both races begins at 7 a.m. Recreational racers do not need to arrive this early. Bring your photo ID.
We need volunteers to help with set up/take down, the bike and run course between. Any help between 8 am to 4 pm would be appreciated. Contact: Lance Romo at (360) 778-7000 or e-mail Lromo@cob.org.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pick up someone else’s packet?
You can pick up someone else’s packet at early packet pick up provided you have a signed note from them.
Can I transfer my registration?
The main entrance will be closed to allow for our transition area. Please enter the park using 40th St. from there you can access parking in the lot and, one way, along Wilkins St. There will be signage and parking staff to assist you.
What time should I get there?
Get there with enough time to park, pick up your packet, get body marking, rack your bike in transition and do whatever other things you do before a race. Recreational event participants can certainly arrive much later than competitive event participants. Plan for 1.5 – 2 hour prior to start time.
The park is approximately 1.5 miles from Exit 252.
- I-5 South: Exit 252 – LEFT on Samish Way, RIGHT on Samish Way, RIGHT on 40th St. to Parking
- I-5 North: Exit 252 – RIGHT on Samish Way, RIGHT on 40th St. to Parking
The actual temperature on race day is generally somewhere in the high 60’s, most participants wear a wetsuit. A wetsuit also adds buoyancy which can help compensate for any potential lack of swim training. If you choose to rent or purchase a wetsuit our sponsor, Train-or-Tri, can answer any questions you may have.
- You must treat each other, our staff and volunteers with respect
- The swim cap must be worn…but only during the swim
- Bike helmets must be worn and buckled any time you’re on your bike
- Headphones, earbuds, etc. are prohibited
- Participants only in the transition area
- You are not allowed to ride your bike in transition – walking or running with it is fine
- You can only enter/exit a bike from transition if it matches the number on your body marking
- The course is not draft legal (drafting = riding (except to pass) within 7 meters behind or 2 meters to the side of another cyclist)
- Time limits apply
- Any equipment left in transition after the time limit will be removed to an unsecured location
Time limits are not flexible
- The competitive distance time limit is 3 hours (180 minutes)
- The recreational distance time limit is 2.5 hours (150 minutes)
Estimate Your Time
(29 seconds to 2:08 minutes) 2015 Range
(29 seconds to 2:49 minutes)
(20 seconds to 1:20 minutes) 2015 Range
(23 seconds to 1:27 minutes)
Relay teams will exchange the timing chip in the transition area. Participants will wait at the bike rack.
Note: relay participants can not wait directly in front of the transition entrance/exit.
We do engraved trophies for the top 3 male & female finishers in each race. We do not do age group
Draw prizes are open to all participants and volunteers.
What are the divisions?
Male and Female 10 & under, 11-12, 13-14, 15-16, 17-18, 19-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50- 54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70+
- Participants self-seed for the swim with the fastest swimmers going first in heats of approximately 50
- Heats will start 3 – 5 minutes apart
- Participants are timed from their heat start
- Transitions are included in your overall time
- Participants not completing any portion of the event will not receive a time
- Participants finishing outside the time limit will not receive a time
Will there be cars on the road?
Yes, the course is open to vehicles, please yield when necessary. We will have between 8 & 13 certified flaggers on the course.