Special Requests and Events

Are you looking for space for a concert, race or party? Bellingham Parks and Recreation hosts a variety of special events annually in parks and athletic facilities. With a variety of venues available from quaint gathering spaces to crowd-pleasers, we have something for everyone.    

Bellingham Parks and Recreation accepts Special Request Applications. Applications will be processed, reviewed and permitted based on facility availability and ability to meet conditions outlined by the State of Washington, Department of Health and Bellingham Parks and Recreation.   

What is a Special Request?

  • Events open to the public
  • Request to Film in Park or Trail Spaces
  • Commercial events (individuals, groups or businesses who charge a monetary admission, class fee, sell tickets, food or other items, solicit funds or donations, offer other for-profit activities or promote a commercial business).
  • Requests for trail use or park space without a facility rental
  • Requests to use a Park Special Use Facility
  • Events with expected attendance above the facility’s maximum capacity
  • Requests for beer gardens or alcohol (wine or beer only.)
  • All tournaments or requests to regularly occupy an athletic court, field or facility.

What is the Permit Process?

  1. Verify the availability of the park facility by reviewing online or calling (360) 778-7000.
  2. Fill out and submit your Special Event Request application at least 30 days prior to the event (60 days is recommended)
  3. Submit non-refundable application fee ($50). The park facility will temporarily be reserved.
  4. Park staff will contact you when they review the application and request additional documentation that may be required to permit your event.
  5. If required, Certificate of insurance and endorsement is due 30 days prior to the event
  6. Payment is due with reservation permit. The Park facility reservation is confirmed upon receipt of payment
  7. Within 30 days after the event requested liability waivers are due (if applicable)

Things to know before you apply

Plan ahead, we need your application at least 30 days prior to your event, including:

  • amplified sound
  • serving or selling food, alcohol (beer or wine only) or merchandise
  • selling tickets
  • stages, tents, barricaded, fences
  • inflatable play equipment
  • security


Notice of cancellation received 30 days prior to the event will receive a full refund, minus a $20 administrative fee. Cancellations under 30 days are non-refundable.



​​Parks and Recreation
(360) 778-7000

All Parks Department Contacts
Online Registration and Facility Availability