ATTENTION CPL APPLICANTS: Please be aware of the below changes to the CPL Application process during COVID-19 closures of the Bellingham Police Department lobby.
Applying for a new CPL?
Call Fingerprints by Appointment/Tom Erickson at (360) 961-2318 to make an appointment for fingerprints. This is the one Whatcom County private vendor-approved for this process.
Mr. Erickson has a complete packet to include BPD CPL application form, two fingerprint cards and an instruction letter to the applicant outlining steps in detail. NOTE: Separate fees WILL apply when obtaining fingerprint services through Mr. Erickson.
For a complete application packet, you will need to include the following:
- The CPL application. If #2 or #3 in the residency section are marked with a “yes,” a copy of your permanent resident card or alien registration and alien firearms license number will need to be included.
- The business envelope. Write your name and mailing address in the center of the provided envelope. We will mail the approved CPL in this envelope once the background check is completed.
- Two fingerprint cards. DO NOT bend or fold these cards.
- Check or money order made out to Bellingham Police Department or BPD for $49.25. DO NOT SEND CASH!
- A photocopy of your state-issued driver’s license or ID card. Your current address must be listed with DOL but does not need to be on your license or ID card. You can update your license for free at www.dol.wa.gov. You must live within the city limits of Bellingham to be issued a CPL by the Bellingham Police Department.
- Place items 1-5 inside a cardboard mailer (which you may purchase from USPS or any office supply store) and mail to:
Bellingham Police Department
505 Grand Ave
Bellingham WA 98225.
When we receive the completed application, there is a 30-day processing time. If the application is incomplete in any way, the packet will be returned to you for correction.
Applying for a renewal?
Call 360-778-8800 and ask for a renewal application and one will be mailed to you. Renewal fees are listed at the bottom of the page.
Non COVID-19 operating instructions:
The Bellingham Police Department accepts completed Concealed Pistol License Applications on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 9:00 AM – 11:30 AM.
To be eligible to apply for a Washington State Concealed Pistol License (CPL) with the Bellingham Police Department, you must be at least 21 years of age, and reside within the city limits of Bellingham or be a non-resident of the State of Washington. If you do not meet the residency requirement, you must apply to the city or county where you reside.
An application must be filled out and fingerprints taken. A Washington State Identification Card, Driver’s License, or other picture identification is required for the background check.
Your license will be mailed to you in approximately 30 days if you are a first-time applicant. Renewals and replacements will be processed and mailed upon completion.
Payment of the fee is due when you turn in your application. The fees are non-refundable if your application is denied. A CPL (if issued) is good for five (5) years from the date of issuance.
The fees for a CPL are:
- New Application $49.25
- Renewal $32 (90 to 0 days before expiration)
- Late Renewal $42 (0 to 90 days after expiration)
- Replacement $10 (If lost or stolen)