Project Overview: EF154
This project involves installing electric vehicle (EV) charging stations throughout Bellingham to improve the availability of EV charging. In early 2021, the City of Bellingham received a $1.5 million grant from the Washington State Department of Commerce to be used towards installing new EV infrastructure across Bellingham. The City is contributing an additional $500,000 from its voter-approved Transportation Fund, bringing the total investment to $2 million.
This project will install 90 new EV plugs at 25 different locations distributed equitably across Bellingham on City-owned properties and public rights-of-way near destinations, workplaces, and multifamily residential areas. The project includes standard Level 2 chargers, DC fast chargers, and solar-powered chargers. Installation will begin in 2022. All stations will be installed by June 1, 2023. Existing parking stalls will be converted to electric vehicle charging only stalls.
EV Charging Stations Locations Map
Status – November 2022
- Phase 1 under construction. See Phase 1 Charging Stations Locations map.
- Construction at 10th Street near Taylor Dock is largely complete. Construction has now begun at Cornwall Park. Chargers are expected to be operational in mid-December.
- Phase 2 – 30% design under review
- October 24, 2022 – City staff presented a proposed ordinance and resolution to City Council regarding electric vehicle charging rates at City-owned charging stations. Presentation recording begins at 1:08:10.
- November 21, 2022 – City Council approved actions to establish a legal framework for City-owned electric vehicle charging stations and update EV charging rates.
- Phase 1 – Complete installation of charging stations and open for use once City Council has approved new charging rates and stations are activated.
- Phase 2 – 60% design
- Status – Construction
- Contract awarded – August 22, 2022
- Contract amount – $222,377
- Contractor – Forma Construction/VECA
- Status – Design
Freeman Anthony, P.E.
Phone: (360) 778-7924
Current Project Updates
Projects that are currently under construction are featured in our weekly project news releases. Please check the news releases below for the most recent project updates and sign up to receive City news updates directly to your email inbox.