West Cemetery Creek Sediment Management and Restoration Project
This habitat restoration project includes designing and constructing stream bank and channel stabilization features along West Cemetery Creek. This project will install natural bed and bank features and facilitate stormwater dispersion along the creek to improve water quality and restore natural processes in West Cemetery Creek. This project implements two of the top three highest priority actions identified in the 2013 West Cemetery Creek Sediment Management Alternatives Feasibility Study:
- Installing natural bed and bank features to slow stream velocities, reduce erosion, and demobilize sediment within a 2,300 foot section of West Cemetery Creek.
- Stabilizing slopes and facilitating stormwater dispersion at two roadways (downstream of Lakeway Drive and Old Lakeway Drive) to address undercutting and bank erosion.
This project will improve water quality by addressing stream velocities and erosion that cause excessive sediment migration in West Cemetery Creek. The Whatcom Creek Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL), written to address temperature, bacteria, and dissolved oxygen impairments in all three of Bellingham’s semi-urban stream systems, indicates that stabilization of stream channels is an appropriate strategy to use in this corridor. The proposed stormwater improvements and infrastructure upgrades will reduce turbidity and sedimentation that cause a loss of dissolved oxygen and an increase in stream temperatures. By restoring underlying processes, this project provides long-term protection and water quality improvements in West Cemetery Creek, and benefits downstream waters, including Whatcom Creek and Bellingham Bay.
See the West Cemetery Creek Water Quality Project webpage for construction updates.
- City Restoration Sites Map
- Lake Whatcom Restoration Sites Map
- Washington Conservation Corps (WCC) Crews
- Stream Sense Brochure
- Invasive and Noxious Weeds
- Water Quality
- Habitat Restoration Technical Assessment (HRTA)
- Fish Studies
- Habitat Restoration Projects
- Cemetery Creek and Salmon Park Restoration
- West Cemetery Creek Water Quality Project