Comprehensive plans are used by communities to establish a vision for the future and provide a framework for building toward that vision. While the Comprehensive Plan is a twenty-year document, it goes through a major update each decade to ensure its guidance remains relevant and responds to changing conditions in the community and region. The next update for cities within Whatcom County is due by June 30, 2025.
While much of the current plan will remain intact, this update will target specific areas for amendment. Several themes have been identified that will guide updates throughout the plan, including:
- Housing options and affordability;
- Accessibility, diversity, equity, and inclusion;
- Climate mitigation and resilience;
- Vibrant and unique places; and
- Public health and safety.