Project Overview: ES557
Now through Summer 2023, City of Bellingham will update the 2012 Pedestrian Master Plan and the 2014 Bicycle Master Plan. These mode-specific plans establish citywide pedestrian and bicycle networks, identify and recommend improved needs, apply community-identified priorities, and develop a fiscally-constrained list of projects for the future. Extensive public input will inform the plan updates.
These projects are funded by the Bellingham Transportation Fund, state and federal grants, and local partnerships.
Opportunities to Get Involved
In Fall 2022 the second round of public engagement for the Pedestrian Master Plan Update will happen during the Plan Development phase and the first round of public engagement for the Bicycle Master Plan Update will begin for the Bicycle Discovery Phase. You can comment, ask questions, take the survey and add ideas to the webmap pertaining to the Bicycle Master Plan Update now through the end of the Bicycle Discovery Phase on the Engage Bellingham webpage.
|Timeframe||Task||Public Engagement Opportunities|
|Spring and Summer 2022||Discovery: Research policies, analyze the pedestrian network, and hear from the community||Share your thoughts through the live survey and at an open house|
|Fall 2022||Ped Plan Development: Develop an updated pedestrian plan including proposed recommendations||Learn more and share your feedback at an open house|
|Fall and Winter 2022||Discovery: Research policies, analyze the bicycle network|
|Winter 2022||Bike Plan Development: Hear from the community and develop an updated bicycle plan including proposed recommendations||Share your thoughts through the live survey and at an open house|
|Spring 2023||Stakeholder Review: City-wide committees review the plans||Learn more and share your feedback at an open house|
|Summer 2023||Plan Adoption: Updated plans are adopted|
- Status – Pre-Design (plan updates)
- Contractor – Toole Design Group + TranspoGroup
- Bellingham Pedestrian and Bicycle Master Plan Updates Project Fact Sheet
- 2012 Bellingham Pedestrian Master Plan
- 2014 Bellingham Bicycle Master Plan
- 2016 Multimodal Transportation Chapter of Bellingham Comprehensive Plan
- 2021 Transportation Report on Annual Mobility (TRAM)
- 2021 ADA Transition Plan: Mobility for All
- 2022-2027 Transportation Improvement Program (TIP)
Technical Review Committee Meeting Notes
- April 26, 2022: Walk-N-Roll Bellingham
- May 11, 2022: Whatcom County Bicycle Pedestrian Advisory Committee (BPAC)
- June 1, 2022: Whatcom Transportation Authority
- June 10, 2022: Whatcom Council of Governments (WCOG) – Whatcom Smart Trips
- June 13, 2022: Mercy Housing
- June 17, 2022: Bellingham Housing Authority
- June 17, 2022: Aging Well Whatcom (Notes Available Soon)
- July 5, 2022: ADA Advocate Mark Challender
- July 11, 2022: Western Washington University (Notes Available Soon)
Stay Informed and Contact Us
Here are the ways you can stay informed about this project:
- Visit this webpage for project updates.
- Sign up for our email update list.
- Contact the Project Manager with questions. See contact information below.
Chris Comeau – Project Manager
Public Works Department, Engineering
(360) 778-7946, email@example.com