Project Overview: ES557
The City of Bellingham is in the process of updating the 2012 Pedestrian Master Plan and the 2014 Bicycle Master Plan. These mode-specific plans establish citywide pedestrian and bicycle networks, identify and recommend improved needs, apply community-identified priorities, and develop a fiscally-constrained list of projects for the future. Extensive public input will inform the plan updates.
These projects are funded by the Bellingham Transportation Fund, state and federal grants, and local partnerships.
Opportunities to Get Involved
The Bicycle Master Plan Update is entering the Plan Discovery phase. In this stage, the community can visit Engage Bellingham to add bike connections they would like to see on the webmap and take a survey to help inform community priorities.
Draft plan recommendations for the Pedestrian Master Plan Update are available to view on the Engage Bellingham project page. The project team is currently working on incorporating feedback to update these draft recommendations. If you would like to provide input, please email the project team at firstname.lastname@example.org or add your comments to the “Ask a Question” section on the Engage Bellingham page.
|Timeframe||Task||Public Engagement Opportunities|
|Spring and Summer 2022||Discovery: Research policies, analyze the pedestrian network, and hear from the community||Share your thoughts through the live survey and at an open house|
|Winter 2022/2023||Ped Plan Development: Develop an updated pedestrian plan including proposed recommendations||Learn more and share your feedback at an open house|
|Spring 2023||Discovery: Research policies, analyze the bicycle network|
|Summer 2023||Bike Plan Development: Hear from the community and develop an updated bicycle plan including proposed recommendations||Share your thoughts through the live survey and at an open house|
|Fall 2023||Stakeholder Review: City-wide committees review the plans||Learn more and share your feedback at an open house|
|Winter 2023||Plan Adoption: Updated plans are adopted|
- Status – Pre-Design (plan updates)
- Contractor – Toole Design Group + TranspoGroup
- Bellingham Pedestrian and Bicycle Master Plan Updates Project Fact Sheet
- 2012 Bellingham Pedestrian Master Plan
- 2014 Bellingham Bicycle Master Plan
- 2016 Multimodal Transportation Chapter of Bellingham Comprehensive Plan
- 2022 Transportation Report on Annual Mobility (TRAM)
- 2021 ADA Transition Plan: Mobility for All
- 2023-2028 Transportation Improvement Program (TIP)
- TranspoGroup Citywide Analysis of Unimproved Rights-of-Way
- Toole Design Group Prioritization Criteria for Sidewalk and Crossing Improvements
- Toole Design Pedestrian Network Analysis Approach – Technical Memo
- DRAFT Pedestrian Policy and Program Recommendations
- DRAFT Crossing and Segment Recommendations
Technical Review Committee Meeting Notes
- April 26, 2022: Walk-N-Roll Bellingham
- May 11, 2022: Whatcom County Bicycle Pedestrian Advisory Committee (BPAC)
- June 1, 2022: Whatcom Transportation Authority
- June 10, 2022: Whatcom Council of Governments (WCOG) – Whatcom Smart Trips
- June 13, 2022: Mercy Housing
- June 17, 2022: Bellingham Housing Authority
- June 17, 2022: Aging Well Whatcom
- July 5, 2022: ADA Advocate Mark Challender
- July 11, 2022: Western Washington University
- August 15, 2022: Bellingham School District
- September 28, 2022: Bellingham Police Department and WA Traffic Safety Commission
Stay Informed and Contact Us
Here are the ways you can stay informed about this project:
- Visit this webpage for project updates.
- Sign up for our email update list.
- Contact email@example.com with questions.