Every five years, as a condition of receiving federal block grants from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), the City is required to prepare a “Consolidated Plan”. This Plan provides an assessment of the City’s community development needs, and an analysis of the housing market for low-income households. It also presents the goals, strategies and specific activities that are implemented annually in order to address those needs. The Consolidated Plan is the community’s choice, within HUD parameters, for how the grant funds will be used in the City.
2023-2027 Consolidated Plan (Upcoming)
The City is now in the process of creating our new Consolidated Plan, which will cover the next five years, 2023-2027. Relevant documents and updates will be posted here throughout 2022 as the Plan is developed.
The draft Plan will be organized around the following topics:
- Equitable access to housing
- Address and prevent homelessness
- Secure housing for vulnerable groups
- Community services and facilities
- Climate resiliency and disaster preparedness
We welcome input from the public during all stages of this process! Please visit Engage Bellingham to view a timeline, take surveys, ask questions, and give feedback: Engage Bellingham
2018-2022 Consolidated Plan (Current)
The basic elements of the Consolidated Plan includes: Public and Stakeholder Input, Needs Assessment, Housing Market Analysis, Strategic Plan (5-year) and Action Plan (First Year).
Consolidated Plan (single document) (Public Version – 2,532k pdf)
- Section 1: Chapters I-IV (TOC, A Note about Data Sources, Executive Summary, Public Participation and Community Profile)
- Section 2: Chapter V & Appendix 2 (Housing Market Assessment / Affordable Housing Inventory list)
- Section 3: Chapters VI-VIII (Homelessness, Community Development, and Special Needs Assessments)
- Section 4: Chapters IX-X (Strategic Plan and 2018 Action Plan)
- Section 5: Appendix 1 (Public Comments)
Consolidated Plan (single document) (HUD Version – 2,802k pdf)
- Planning and Community Development Department
- Community Participation Plan
- Consolidated Plan Priorities 1-pager (pdf)
- Fair Housing