The Small and Simple Grant Program provides funding for neighborhood-led projects that make positive neighborhood improvements, encourage community engagement, and demonstrate City-wide benefit.
2023 Small and Simple Grants
All applications submitted by the May 1, 2023, deadline will be considered for funding through a competitive process conducted by the Mayor’s Office.
- All City-recognized neighborhood associations are eligible to apply. Multiple neighborhoods may submit a joint application.
- Grants will be awarded based on a competitive review process.
- Grants will be awarded up to $5,000.
- Applications are accepted between March 1- May 1, 2023. Grant announcements expected in June 2023.
- Matching funds are not required.
- Funds are available for one-time projects.
- These grants are intended to make real, substantive, and positive changes in Bellingham neighborhoods.
- While examples of allowable projects are included in guidelines, projects are not limited to those examples.
- Projects should be led and completed by the neighborhood associations.
- Funds are provided on a reimbursable basis. Neighborhood representatives must be willing and able pay costs upfront then submit receipts for reimbursement.
- Neighborhoods are responsible for obtaining any applicable permissions and permits.
- Applications must include written permission from necessary land owners or City departments, where applicable.
For more information, contact the Mayor’s Office.
Guidelines and application
Photo above: The Cordata Neighborhood Association was awarded a 2019 Small and Simple Grant to support its community garden.