Every six years the State Recreation and Conservation Office requires cities to update their PRO Plans to compete for grants. Bellingham’s last major update was 2014, with minor changes done in 2016 as part of the larger update to the Comprehensive Plan. This update will include updated park inventory and maps, strategies for prioritizing improvements, public surveys and feedback, and incorporating goals regarding asset management and recreation programming.
Public work sessions with the Parks & Recreation Advisory Board and Greenways Advisory Committee will be held on various topics throughout the summer, with preliminary drafts due in the Fall. A Parks & Recreation Community Survey obtained public input from nearly 2,500 residents from June through July of 2019 to inform the process and recommendations.
As a docketed Comprehensive Plan amendment, this project requires legislative review by the Planning Commission and City Council. State of Washington deadline for completion and submittal of the updated plan is March 1, 2020.
City Council Final Draft Document
Planning Commission Review
- PRO Plan – November Draft with redlines (PDF)
- Appendix A – Park Classifications (PDF)
- Appendix B – Existing Facilities (PDF)
- Appendix C – Proposed Facilities (PDF)
- Appendix D – Capital Facilities Plan (PDF)
- Appendix E – Revenue Source Descriptions (PDF)
- Appendix F – Public Survey Results (PDF)
- Staff Workshop June 6, 2019
- PRAB/GAC Workshop #1, June 4, 2019
- PRAB/GAC Workshop #2, July 11, 2019
- Public Survey Results (PDF)
- Full text survey results (PDF)
- Presentation to PRAB on Key Recommendations, September 11, 2019 (PDF)
- Public Open House Presentation, September 19, 2019 (PDF)
- Working Drafts:
- Chapter 1:
Introduction, Principles, Goals and Objectives (PDF)
- Chapter 2:
Community Setting (PDF)
- Chapter 3:
Existing Facilities (PDF)
- Chapter 5: Recommendations (PDF)
Draft PRO Plan October 2019 (PDF)
- Chapter 1:
- MNAC Presentation October 16, 2019 (PDF)
- City Council Status Report November 4, 2019
Parks & Recreation Advisory Board Meetings, 2nd Wednesdays, April-November, 2019, 7 a.m. – 9 a.m.
Greenways Advisory Committee, 1st Thursdays, April – November, 2019, 7 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Workshop #1, Tuesday, June 4, 2019, 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Maritime Heritage Park Pavilion, 500 W. Holly Street, Bellingham
- Park Advisory Board and Greenway Advisory Committee – goals and objectives work session
Workshop #2, Thursday, July 11, 2019, 3 p.m. – 6 p.m.
- City Hall, Mayor’s Board Room, 210 Lottie Street, Bellingham
- Park Advisory Board and Greenway Advisory Committee – map work session
Public Open House, Thursday, September 19, 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m
- Bloedel Donovan Park multipurpose room, 2114 Electric Ave., Bellingham
- Public meeting to present and obtain feedback on preliminary draft plan
Planning Commission Public Hearing, Thursday, December 5, 2019, 7 p.m.
- City Council Chambers, City Hall, 210 Lottie Street, Bellingham
City Council Public Hearing, January 2020
Comments or Feedback?
Email, or USPS mail to Bellingham Parks & Recreation, Attention Nicole Oliver, 210 Lottie Street, Bellingham, WA 98225.
Nicole Oliver, Parks Development Manager