Project Overview: Sidewalks, ADA upgrades, Crosswalks, Bike Lanes
The Bellingham School District is reconstructing Parkview Elementary School in 2020 and, when complete, the new school will have capacity for 100 additional students. While there is not a significant collision history in the vicinity of the school, the 2012 Pedestrian Master Plan identifies significant sidewalk gaps along both Cornwall Avenue and Coolidge Avenue leading to Parkview ES. The 2014 Bicycle Master Plan identifies gaps in the bicycle network along West Illinois Street, Meridian Street, and Girard Street, as highlighted in this Bicycle Connectivity Graphic.
In 2019, Public Works commissioned the West Illinois Street Multimodal Corridor Traffic Study to examine the pedestrian, bicycle, and vehicular improvement needs on the West Illinois Street corridor from Sunset Drive to Lynn Street. Bicycle lanes are proposed on both the West Illinois corridor, but due to physical space constraints, on-street parking will need to be removed from one side of the corridor. Bike lanes on West Illinois will connect to the Vallette Street Bike Boulevard, the West Illinois Bike Boulevard east of Sunset, marked bike lanes on Meridian Street, the Dupont-Elm-Northwest corridor, and the Victor Street Bike Boulevard. A green bike box will be installed at the W. Illinois/Cornwall intersection and a flashing crosswalk will be installed at the W. Illinois/Vallette intersection. Sidewalks will be constructed on the west side of Cornwall Avenue from W. Illinois to Parkview ES, on the east side of Coolidge Avenue from W. Illinois to Parkview ES, and on the south side of W. Indiana Street from Vallette Street to Cornwall Avenue.
- Current construction page for Parkview Safe Routes to School project.
- Washington Transportation Board (TIB) Complete Streets grant awarded — May 2022
- Grants for Parkview ES Safe Route to School Improvements awarded and West Illinois Street Pedestrian & Bicycle Safety Improvements — July 2021
- Washington Transportation Board (TIB) grant awarded for Meridian/Illinois Roundabout — November 2020
- West Illinois Street Corridor Traffic Study with analysis of Meridian/Illinois Roundabout (pages 14-18; Attachments D & E) – April 14, 2020
- Parkview Elementary School Safe Route to School Improvements = Project #11 in 2021-2026 Transportation Improvement Program (TIP)
- West Illinois Pedestrian & Bicycle Safety Improvements Project #12 in 2021-2026 Transportation Improvement Program (TIP)
- Meridian-Girard improvements = Project #2.a. in 2021-2026 Transportation Improvement Program (TIP)
- Grant application for Meridian-Girard Bike Lanes & Meridian/Illinois Roundabout submitted to WSDOT – March 5, 2020
- Grant application for West Illinois Street Pedestrian & Bicycle Safety Improvements submitted to WSDOT – July 14, 2020
- Grant application for Parkview ES Safe Route to School Improvements submitted to WSDOT – July 20, 2020
- Grant application for Meridian/Illinois Roundabout submitted to the WA Transportation Improvement Board (TIB) – August 14, 2020
- West Illinois Pedestrian & Bicycle Safety Improvements
- Meridian-Girard Multimodal Safety Improvements
- ES-0553 2020 Transportation Benefit District Projects
- 2017 WTA Strategic Plan
- 2017 WCOG Whatcom Mobility 2040 Long Range Transportation Plan
- Fountain District Urban Village Plan
Affected Urban Villages
Chris Comeau, COB Transportation Planner