Project Overview: ES560
The Parkview Safe Routes to School Project will add key regional sidewalks on Coolidge, Indiana, Cornwall and Vallette Street along with improvements along West Illinois. The project will also add a flashing beacon and crosswalk at Vallette Street. Project challenges include existing improvements and limited right-of-way, existing open drainage courses, and traffic control during construction.
- Final Design – February 2023
- Construction – June-October 2023
This project is funded by the Bellingham Transportation Fund, a Federal Safe Routes to School Grant, and a Washington State Transportation Improvement Board Grant.
Interim improvements near Parkview Elementary
In the fall of 2022, several temporary improvements will be made near Parkview Elementary. These include:
- Crosswalks painted at Plymouth and Cornwall and across the entrance to Cornwall Park.
- Temporary sidewalk connecting the existing Indiana Street sidewalk to the new crosswalk across the Cornwall Park entrance.
- “Cross at Crosswalk” signage installed on the north and south sides of Indiana.
Status – December 2022
Accomplishments: 30% Design process complete.
Next Milestones: Complete 60% Design, stormwater site plan.
- Status – Design
- 60% Design development
- Contract awarded – TBD
- Contract amount – TBD
- Contractor – TBD
- Vicinity Map
Freeman Anthony, P.E.
Phone: (360) 778-7924
- Project 60% Design Plans
- Project 30% Design Plans
- Safe Routes to School Grant Application – Concept Plans
- Parkview Elementary Safe Routes to School Improvements
Current Project Updates
Projects that are currently under construction are featured in our weekly project news releases. Please check the news releases below for the most recent project updates and sign up to receive City news updates directly to your email inbox.