Project Overview: ES563
This project will add and improve bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure throughout Bellingham, focused on the west side. The project includes the following:
- Installation of buffered bike lanes and improvements to four intersections on Eldridge Ave from Broadway to Nequalicum Ave to provide protected pedestrian crossings.
- Installation of buffered bike lanes on Cornwall Ave from Granary Ave to Wharf St (Cornwall Beach Park).
- Pedestrian crossing improvements to more than ten intersections/crossings throughout the City, focused on the west side, as recommended in the City’s Pedestrian and Bicycle Master Plans.
- Parking removal along Eldridge and Cornwall to implement the planned bicycle improvements (see Engage Bellingham for more information).
- The Eldridge bike lane improvements is project #13 on the 6-Year Transportation Improvement Plan (TIP) and will be a pilot project.
- Data will be collected before installation and 1 year after installation. Results will be reported to City Council.
These improvements are funded by City Street funds and the voter-approved Bellingham Transportation Fund.
Upcoming Open House – Thursday, February 16
Join the City for an informational presentation and Q&A session about the bike and pedestrian improvements happening in spring 2023 as part of the Parkview Safe Routes to School, West Illinois Multimodal, and Westside Non-Motorized Improvements projects. The open house will take place Thursday, February 16 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at Parkview Elementary School cafeteria. Find more information about the open house.
- Visit the Parking Removal for Bike and Pedestrian Upgrades page on Engage Bellingham to learn more about the parking removal projects and ask questions.
Status – December 2022
Accomplishments: Project is now authorized after City Council voted to approve parking removal on both Eldridge and Cornwall on October 24.
Next Milestones: 30% Design
- Status – Design
- Contract awarded – TBD
- Contract amount – TBD
- Contractor – TBD
- Vicinity Map
Jessica Bennett, Project Engineer
Phone: (360) 778-7923