Street sweeping is an important part of street maintenance. In addition to improving the appearance of our community, sweeping streets provides a number of environmental benefits, including:
- Removing harmful pollutants such as metal particles and other hazardous waste created by vehicles.
- Protecting fish and wildlife by reducing heavy metals and other pollutants that can enter waterways when it rains.
- Improving water quality. Street sweeping is considered a best management practice (BMP) for controlling and improving water quality.
- Reducing localized flooding during heavy rains.
- Reducing storm drain maintenance by keeping storm drains clear and unclogged.
- Enhancing traffic safety by removing debris lying in the roadway.
Sweeping is accomplished with the use of three regenerative air sweepers owned and operated by the City. The street maintenance crew sweep both during the day and at night, depending on the location.
If you notice glass, downed branches, or other debris in the roadway, you can request a street sweeper to sweep the roadway or bicycle lane by using SeeClickFix. For spills, please report to the Stormwater Hotline.
- Typical evening street sweeping schedule (PDF)
- Downtown and Central Business District Street Sweeping Map and Schedule (PDF)
Please use SeeClickFix to report glass, downed branches, or other debris in the roadway or bicycle lanes. Please report spills to the Stormwater Hotline.