Many “Bellingham” addresses are for properties that are actually in unincorporated areas – not within city limits. Please use City IQ to make sure the property you are interested in actually falls within the City of Bellingham.
- Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing, Water Heater Replacement, Re-Roof and Sign & Awning.
PLEASE NOTE: BUILDING PERMIT REVIEWS ARE RUNNING APPROXIMATELY 10-12 WEEKS BEYOND THE STATED TARGET DATE. PLEASE PLAN ACCORDINGLY. THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE. WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF HIRING AND TRAINING NEW STAFF TO ADDRESS THIS DELAY.
Alternate Methods or Materials
Use of alternate methods or materials, not prescriptive to adopted codes, requires that the proponent demonstrate that the alternate is at least equivalent to the methods in the adopted codes. Persons wishing to use alternate methods or materials must complete each of the following:
- Complete the Alternative Methods and Materials application
- Provide adequate evidence that the proposed method is equal to or better than what is prescribed in adopted codes;
- Provide all of the documentation in the first two bullets along with a completed permit application.
Failure to follow the steps above will result in the proposed alternate method or material being denied. Please remember that if you wish to use the proposed alternate on multiple projects, you must provide all of the bulleted documents with the permit application for each project.
These examples shown herein are demonstration of drainage system equivalency between the two nationally recognized plumbing codes. Other documentation may also be proposed.
- ASPE Sanitary Drainage Design Report (May 2012)
- ASPE Vent Systems Report (July 2012)
- Heriot Watt University Report (January 2007)
- Planning and Community Development Department
- Bellingham Municipal Code
- 2018 Code Effective Date extension repealed- Effective Date is February 1, 2021 | SBCC (wa.gov)
- Electronic Submittal Requirements
- How to Know When You Need a Permit
- Permit Fees
- Permit Timelines and Criteria
- Subject to Field Inspection Permits
- Top 10 Ways to Improve Your Permit Experience
In-person Services: Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 8:30am-3:30pm / Wednesday 9:30am – 3:30pm
Available By Phone and Email: Monday-Friday 8:00am – 5:00pm
Contact us: (360) 778-8300 or email@example.com | more contact info